Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Remember(ing) the Dream

I'm surprisingly wordless today on this most historic of days, I think the worldwide supply of hyperbole has been seriously tapped. I watched some of the ceremonies via streaming AP feed this morning, and I did indeed get a little choked up. As I mentioned on Olivander's blog, 46 years was a long time to get across the National Mall, but it was worth it.

And with that, I'll make a clunky transition back to the spirit of techno-nostalgia. Please take a look at these two pieces by kinetic artist John Douglas Powers.
See also this article about the artist for the story behind the Dream typewriter.

2 comments:

Olivander said...

Very cool. It's the music box writ large (so to speak).

I had the start of an "End of an Error" typecast, looking back upon all that which we won't miss about the Shrub administration. But once I saw Marine One (or whatever it's non-presidential call sign is) recede in the blue Washington sky, I just didn't care anymore. Time to look forward.

mpclemens said...

That was the most joyous takeoff I can remember in a long time.